Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Nashvillian Spotlight - Tommy Shaw of Styx


Oh, man! We love Tommy Shaw. When we started our online reporting in the early 2000's Styx was the first arena concert we ever covered. When our article was done, we sent it in, and heard back from their publicist who let us know that Tommy liked our write-up, saying - "We get it!" That was incredible early validation from one of our true rock star heroes.

Three years later I had the opportunity to interview Tommy for my radio show and he then directed his fanbase to tune in to hear the "real conversation" we had. More evidence from the Stygian that we were on the right path because I never wanted to be a real shock jock/morning zoo interviewer. I endeavored to treat these musicians like real people that I'd known all my life. In a way that was true and this approach also helped ease my nerves when the tape was rolling.

I'm not coming late to the party, either. Tommy's "Renegade" was the first real rock song that spoke to me as a pre-teen and I've remained a rock and roll renegade ever since. So, we thank Mr. Shaw for providing more tangible proof in our lives. When we decided to move to Nashville in 2015 we were a little uncertain to leave New York and the Northeast in the rearview. It was all we'd ever known. But, at a May 2016 Styx concert in Nashville we learned that Tommy recently picked up his stakes and moved to Music City, too. So, one more reason to feel less alone here in Tennessee!

So, Tommy, we'd like to invite you and a guest out to dinner here in town. You're choice -- it's the least we can do to say "thanks" for all the encouragement you've brought to into our lives. But, go easy on us. You're a world famous rock star and I'm just a "Blue Collar Man". Reach out and we'll save the date - Rich Lynch - soundpress@yahoo.com

Article Links: Check out these links to learn more about Nashvillian Tommy Shaw! - Tommy Shaw's Site | Tommy Shaw Feature in Nashville Lifestyles | Styx with the Nashville Symphony - 2016 | Tommy with Don Felder in Nashville - 2016 | Our Styx Report from 2003 when Tommy said "We Get It!"

- Blog post by MusicCityNashville.net

No comments:

Post a Comment